Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation

U.S. Passport Renewal Applications - Form DS-82

Applicants who are renewing their passport, changing their legal name or correcting information on a previous passport issued may use the Form DS-82 if all of the following are true:

  • You are able to submit your most recent passport;
  • You were at least 16 years old when that passport was issued;
  • That passport was issued less than 15 years ago.

Applicants who do not meet all of these requirements should refer to “Applications requiring personal appearance” on the passport page.

Applications to renew a damaged passport via mail may be accepted at our discretion if all the identifying information is still legible. If the photograph or identifying information is illegible, or the passport is significantly damaged, please refer to the information regarding Lost/Stolen/Damaged passports

Preparing a complete application

Please disregard the preprinted instructions on the online forms and submit the following:
  1. Completed, legible, and signed passport application (Form DS-82);
  2. Most recent US passport;
  3. One (1) U.S. sized passport photograph. (Note: these are a different size from Australian passport photographs. See our list of photographers);
  4. Self-addressed Express Post envelope for the return of your new and old passports. We do not accept Registered Post envelopes to return the documents;
  5. Applicable fee for Application Form DS-82: USD110.00 (AUD amount listed here). Payments can be by Australia Post money order or bank check (personal/business checks are not accepted) in either U.S or Australian currency, and must be payable to the "U.S. Consulate General". Under no circumstances are other payees accepted, including payments made payable to the "Department of State". If an applicant writes on the face of the money order/bank check, our cashier is unable to process it as valid payment. Please do not write anything on the face of the money order/bank check. Incorrect payments cannot be accepted, even if there is an overpayment. (All fees are subject to change without notice);
  6. If applicable — Original documentation to support name change or change of other descriptive data (photocopies certified by a Justice of the Peace are not acceptable);
  7. For damaged passports: a signed statement outlining the reason the passport is damaged.

Submitting the application

In person: If you would like to submit this application in person, please schedule an appointment in order to do so. Note: An Express Post envelope must be provided with applications submitted in person.

By mail: Applications should be mailed to the Consulate General serving the state where you are located:

Photo Guidelines