Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
U.S. Citizen Services

Citizenship and Nationality

U.S. Citizens Born Abroad

Children (applicants) born abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s) may have a claim to U.S. citizenship. The following information will assist in determining if a child has a claim, and the requirements to register them as a U.S. citizen born abroad:

Please refer the Department of State's information for U.S. citizens who have used (or who are considering to use) Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) abroad. For citizenship purposes, ART includes in-vitro fertilization, surrogacy arrangements and the use of egg and sperm donors. If ART was used to concieve your child and you are unsure as to how to proceed with an application, please contact the American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit at the U.S. Consulate General serving your state.

Other Paths to U.S. Citizenship

If an American citizen does not meet the requirements to transmit their citizenship to a foreign-born child and have a CRBA issued, there may be another path to citizenship for the child. The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 allows certain foreign-born, biological and adopted children of American citizens to acquire American citizenship automatically.

Please note that the acquisition of U.S. citizenship via the Child Citizenship Act is adjudicated and administered by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service(USCIS) and accordingly, we are unable to answer specific questions about the program.The USCIS does not have an office in Australia, however, their office at the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok, Thailand can provide further guidance. 

Dual Nationality

The U.S. Government recognizes the existence of dual nationality and permits Americans to have other nationalities; however they also recognize the problems which it may cause, and therefore does not encourage it as a matter of policy. Please carefully review the Department of State’s information regarding Dual Nationality.

All dual nationals traveling to the United States are required to enter and depart the U.S. using their U.S. passport. For further information, please see the information regarding Dual Nationality.

Loss of Nationality

U.S. citizens considering renouncing or relinquishing their U.S. nationality should carefully review and understand the consequences and ramifications of doing so.

Former U.S. citizens who previously lost their U.S. citizenship may request to have their loss of nationality reconsidered.