Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Business or Tourist Travelers

Combined Visa for Business or Pleasure (B1/B2 visa)

Under the Visa Waiver Program Australians and nationals of 26 other countries, including the UK and New Zealand, can travel to the U.S. for tourism or business stays of less than 90 days without obtaining a visa if certain requirements are met.

If you do not meet the requirements of the Visa Waiver Program, you may be eligible for a visitor visa which is a nonimmigrant visa for persons desiring to enter the United States temporarily for business (B-1) and for pleasure or medical treatment (B-2). As examples, if the purpose of your planned travel is recreational in nature, including tourism, amusement, visits with friends or relatives, rest, medical treatment, and activities of a fraternal, social, or service nature, then a visitor visa (B-2) would be the appropriate type of visa for your travel. As additional examples, if the purpose for your planned travel is to consult with business associates, travel for a scientific, educational, professional or business convention, or conference on specific dates, settle an estate, or negotiate a contract, then a business (B-1) visitor visa would be the appropriate type of visa for your travel.

Business/Visitor Visas

A temporary visitor for business or pleasure must establish that he or she:

  • Has a residence abroad which he or she does not intend to abandon
  • Is coming to the United States for a definite temporary period
  • Will depart upon the conclusion of the visit
  • Has permission to enter a foreign area after his or her stay in U.S.
  • Has access to sufficient funds to cover expenses of the visit and return passage


There are two parts to the nonimmigrant visa fee: the application fee and the issuance fee. Please visit our fees page for more information: 

How to Apply

Step-by-step instructions are available at the following: 

Additional Documentation Needed - When Seeking to Travel for Medical Treatment

Persons desiring to travel to the U.S. for medical treatment should be prepared to present the following, in addition to any other documentation the consular officer may require:

  • Medical diagnosis from a local physician, explaining the nature of the ailment and the reason the applicant requires treatment in the United States.
  • Letter from a physician or medical facility in the United States, expressing a willingness to treat this specific ailment and detailing the projected length and cost of treatment (including doctors' fees, hospitalization fees, and all medical-related expenses).
  • Statement of financial responsibility from the individuals or organization which will pay for the patient's transportation, medical and living expenses. The individuals guaranteeing payment of these expenses must provide proof of ability to do so, often in the form of bank or other statements of income/savings or certified copies of income tax returns.

If a visa applicant has specific questions about qualifications for a visa, contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where he/she will apply for the visa.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is a business related (B-1) visitor visa?

A: Generally, the travel appropriate for a business (B-1) visitor visa includes travel to:

  • Consult with business associates;
  • Attend a scientific, educational, professional or business convention, or a conference on specific dates;
  • Settle an estate;
  • Negotiate a contract;
  • Participate in short-term training.

More information on B-1 visas

Q: What is a visitor related (B-2) visa?

A: Generally, the travel appropriate for a visitor (B-2) visitor visa includes travel for:

  • Tourism or Family Visits
  • Medical Reasons (see below for further details)
  • Participation in Social Events
  • Armed Forces Dependents
  • Dependents of Crewmen
  • Short Course of Study
  • Amateur Entertainers and Athletes


Q: Where can I get assistance in sourcing U.S. products and services to import into Australia?

A: The U.S. Commercial Service, with offices in our Sydney and Melbourne Consulates General, helps Australian companies do business in the USA by finding that particular U.S. company, product or service. Whether you simply require contact details for known U.S. companies, or plan to travel to the USA to source new U.S. products or services, we can assist. Contact us via our website at: