Applying for a job at the U.S. Embassy?
- You are required to provide a covering letter and current CV/Resume in Word or PDF format only.
- You must explain how you meet all of the requirements of the vacant position. Only those candidates providing specific and comprehensive information supporting each of the essential selection criteria of the job advertisement will receive further consideration for the post.
Areas to Address:
- Please include daytime telephone number, e-mail address, home address and a statement regarding your legal right to work in the Australia. e.g. citizenship, residency, work permit etc.
- If you do not provide this information, we will not consider your application further. Short-listed applicants will be asked to provide, prior to interview, documentation in support of their legal right to work in Australia.
- Applicants with limited legal rights to work in Australia, e.g. students, will not be considered for full-time positions.
Areas to Avoid:
- As an equal opportunities employer we do NOT want you to include your gender, date of birth, age, and family status. The U.S. Mission in Australia provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation. The Department of State also strives to achieve equal employment opportunity in all personnel operations through continuing diversity enhancement programs.
Sending your Application:
- Please submit a separate cover letter, C.V./Resume and Selection Criteria for each position that you are applying for.
- Please e-mail your cover letter and C.V./Resume to: email@example.com
- Please note that the above e-mail address is a mail box only, and we will not use it to enter into any correspondence.
- Alternatively you could mail your application to: The Regional Human Resources Office, American Embassy, Moonah Place, YARRALUMLA, ACT, 2600.
- Only one submission per position will be accepted, i.e. please do not mail a hard copy of your covering letter and C.V./Resume to us if you have already sent it via e-mail.
- Submissions received after 5.00 pm (AEST) on the closing date will not be accepted.
- Unfortunately, we are unable to acknowledge the receipt of job applications due to resources.
The Selection Process:
- Short listing and interviews are normally completed within four weeks of the closing date. Please assume that your application has been unsuccessful if you have not heard from us within four weeks of the closing date.
- After interview, the next step is reference checking. We will notify you before contacting your referees.
- Once we have received satisfactory references from your previous employers, and if the Supervisor determines that you are the best person for the job, you will be made a conditional offer of employment and will be required to go through an Embassy Medical and Security Investigation prior to appointment.
- U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (AEFMs) and U.S. Veterans will be given preference in the selection process. If these individuals meet all the essential criteria as outlined on the job advertisement they will be selected first for testing and a possible interview. If the AEFM or U.S. Veteran demonstrates that they meet the essential requirements for the position during the testing/interview, they will be selected for that position.
- AEFMs should identify themselves as such on their application. To qualify as an AEFM you are: A U.S. citizen; spouse or dependent, who is at least age 18; listed on the travel orders of a U.S. citizen Foreign or Civil Service employee or uniformed service member permanently assigned to or stationed at a U.S. Foreign Service post or establishment abroad with a USG agency that is under Chief of Mission authority; is resident at the sponsoring employee's or uniformed service member's post of assignment abroad and; does not receive a U.S. government annuity or pension based on a career in the U.S. Civil or Foreign Service.
- Veterans Preference: Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their DD-214 with their application. If a DD-214 is not provided at the time of application, preference will not be given. Further details about Veterans preference can be found at the Office of Personnel Management website.
I understand the above conditions - take me to the job advertisement.